Tuesday 5 February 2013

Golf update - You can rediscover your golf game

I thought I might as well add a diary-like entry on my golf game because I find it remarkable at how quickly my game has improved over the least two weeks. More specifically, I dropped 21 shots off my score in two weeks. I put it all down to one golf lesson and a lot of hardwork. If you are having trouble with your own golf game, then I hope this can give you the confidence that you can turn it around and trust what you are doing.

Saturday, January 19, 2013: This was probably the darkest day on the golf course for me since 2007. It came after several months of a deteriorating golf swing and countless hours on the driving range hitting hundreds of balls without making any progress.

For some reason I thought that my golf game would magically reappear. Why? Because it magically disappeared several months ago where I went from shooting in the mid 70s to mid 80s within the blink of an eye.

One problem led to another, and I found myself tossing and turning ideas in my head, all to no avail.

Anyway, back to that day - a 36 hole interclub trial on a very windy day in Wellington. I shot 87 in the morning and 90 in the afternoon. It was the first time I had failed to break 90 since early 2007. In other words, this was the worst golf I had played in over 5 years.

I guess I could blame the wind for a few shots, but it did not hide the fact that my ball striking was absolute rubbish. I used to be able to hit 9+ greens a round without even trying. In that 90, I only hit 2 greens.

I never thought about quitting. All I could think about was how great I would feel when I finally got my talent back.


I finally said enough was enough and decided to get a lesson with the coach at Miramar - Renee Fowler.

Thursday, January 24, 2013: Immediately, Renee saw the problems in my swing. The two key things were an incorrect weight shift on the downswing and a failure to extend the arms at impact (see this blog post). Renee gave me a few drills to work on and a few things to think about while practicing.

Saturday, January 26, 2013: My practice had begun. Mainly hitting balls with my feet together to work on the correct weight shift on the downswing and keeping my body centred over the ball, as opposed to leaning back. Nothing fancy today, just little half swings with my pitching wedge.

Sunday-Tuesday, January 27-29, 2013: Kept going hard at it. Started to hit more longer clubs - 6,7 and 8 irons - while hitting more balls with my feet apart, always remembering to keep those arms extended at impact and shift that weight foward.

I decided to go out and play 9 holes on Tuesday afternoon to put my early hard work to the test. I shot +4 which is nothing spectacular, but a breath of fresh air when considering how bad I was just over a week ago.

Wednesday, 30 January, 2013: Now I really began to feel confident that I had put the past behind me. In practice, I was hitting the ball noticeably further higher, and getting more consistent divots. Even better, my notorious bad shot - the weak push to the right - was not happening as often.

Thursday, 31 January, 2013: Played 7 holes and shot +3. Which was alright and I did hit more greens percentage wise than I had been over the last few months. After that, I did some skill tests with my 8 iron and they went really well, with regards to starting the ball on the right line and having it end up at/near the target.

Friday, 1 February, 2013: The big day. Played 18 holes for the first time since that 90 score. How would I cope physically and mentally? As it turns out, I played my best round in almost 13 months, a 1 under par 69! I could not believe at how quickly I had transformed my game. Hit more greens, more fairways, holed more putts, and even my chipping was up to standard. Had to birdie the last hole to break par, and did it by making a 15 foot birdie putt from the fringe. I was back!

Saturday, 2 February, 2013: Had to back up my previous day's play with a good first up showing in interclub for the season at an away course. My short game was woeful, but my full swing kept me in the game as I hit many fairways and greens. I was 3 holes down with 5 to play, and made my best ever comeback to win the last 5 holes and win the match 2 up. I was only +1 for those last 5 holes and hit 4/5 greens, including some long 2 putts to make par. I shot a +11 82, but if my short game was half decent, it would have easily been a 76-77. It is not always easy putting and chipping at a course you are not familiar with.

Sunday, 3 February, 2013: Backed it up again - a 75 at Miramar. Bad news? I only hit 4 greens in regulation, but of those made 2 birdies. Looking back, I was a bit lazy with my full swing and I do not know why. Maybe it was just one of those days where you hit the ball bad. They happen. Good news? Short game was spectacular. Made 7/14 up and downs and holed several putts from the 10-15 foot range - something I usually struggle to do. I even holed out from a bunker for the first time which I was stoked about. The way I see it, the confidence I now have in my long game has fed into my short game, along with the time I have spent on the putting green practicing those middle-range putts.

So there you have it: Shoot 90, get a lesson, work hard, shoot 69. It all came down to confidence and having trust in the process of improvement. I owe most of that to coach Renee for her help.

Again, if you are struggling with your golf game, no matter how bad it may seem, you can turn it around through three things: confidence, trust and hard work.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this information its really nice.
    golf games online

    ReplyDelete