Monday 16 July 2012

An apology to Mark Hammett

Dear Mr. Hammet,

I am writing to you to offer my apologies in doubting you before even giving you a chance to back you and your decision up. I had convinced myself that a Cantabrian had been wrongly appointed to destroy Hurricanes rugby for the near future. I hated you. How could you get rid of our favourite son Nonu, as well as be reponsible for Hore, Gear, Cruden, Weepu, wanting to part ways with a franchse they loved and you had wrecked? I wanted us to finish last and see you get the sack!

I told myself I wouldn't even get up for the games in South Africa to start the season, and I didn't, but was surprised to see that you managed to beat the Lions. I guess you surprised me when I heard that the Hurricanes had demolished the Western Force in Perth, but was then brought back down to earth when we lost to the Highlanders in our first home game of the season.

But after having seen some great performances and results, most notably the four try bonus point win against the Waratahs, the last minute win against the Higlanders, the close win against the Crusaders (all away from home) and the 84th minute win against the Chiefs, I have full confidence in you and how you have developed some sort of togetherness and determintation within this team. Hurricanes teams of the past have not been as good/consistent at closing out close games, whether that meant coming from behind or holding on to the end.

Ok, at the end of the day you helped this team to an 8th place finish in a 15 team competition, but I never thought it would come down to the last week to see if we would make the playoffs. You have helped grow talented players like Andre Taylor, TJ Perenara, Julian Savea and Beauden Barrett and I congratulate you in doing so. I thought we would be boring this year. How did you manage to get this team to score more points that any other team in the competition without powerful attackers such as Nonu and Gear? You are a genius.

I could not have been more wrong about you. Even though you are a Cantabrian, thanks for making this a very enjoyable season for a Hurricanes fan and I hope you stay on as coach for next year. If you ever get this team to their first Super Rugby title, a street should be named after you here in Wellington.

Regards,
Jonathan Basile

2 comments: